The Information Assurance and Security Degree program prepares the student to understand networking components with specialization in securing and protecting the network while being able to prepare and conduct investigations based on intrusions or access by other than authorized individuals, systems, viruses, malware and spyware. This professional demonstrates the skills required to protect a network, improve and maintain network security and conduct investigations if a threat or intrusion has been identified.
This program provides the student with an opportunity to pursue the certifications listed below:
- CISCO Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- CCNA Security Certification
- COMPTIA Security+
- COMPTIA A+ Hardware Certification
- COMPTIA Network+
- Microsoft Certified Professional for Windows 7
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist
- Security Certified Network Professional (SCO-471)
Students have the option of obtaining employment using their computer skills or transferring to a four-year institution and receiving a baccalaureate degree. Some job opportunities are listed below:
- Manage an entire network in a small- to medium-size business
- Work in IT department with networking responsibilities
- Manage an entire IT department for a small business
- Develop your own consulting business
- Computer Support and Security Specialist
- LAN or WAN Administrator
- Network Technician
Upon successful completion of the Information Assurance and Security curriculum (at least 60 semester hours) with a grade point average of 2.00 (C) or higher, the student is awarded an Associate in Applied Science Degree.
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Talk to the Business Internship Coordinator or your Counselor to decide when in your college career you should participate in an internship.
- Enroll in and pass Workplace Professionalism (BUS 162 ).
- Workplace Professionalism is a 3 s.h. course that is a prerequisite to Business Internships ~ it can be taken at any time prior to a Business Internship.
- Upon passing Workplace Professionalism, the student is eligible for a Business Internship (BUS 225 ).
- Students may register for a Business Internship only when they have located, secured and have had the internship site approved with the Business Internship Coordinator.
- Business Internship credit ranges from 1 s.h. to 5 s.h. ~ this must be determined prior to registering for the course.
All students are highly encouraged to participate in a Business Internship before graduating.