The Legal Office Specialist Degree program is designed to prepare students for employment in law offices, insurance companies, financial institutions, courts and police departments, as well as in legal departments of business firms and government offices.
The graduate’s duties include transcribing dictation; preparing letters, memos, court and client documents; filing; handling telephone services; making appointments and receiving clients; ordering supplies, making travel arrangements; taking care of general office administration; and using a computer for word processing, spreadsheet, electronic presentation, and database projects.
NIACC’s classrooms are equipped with the latest in computers, office machines, and equipment. They are also staffed by qualified instructors in the business and legal fields.
Successful graduates can find opportunities in the following occupational areas:
- Legal Office Assistant
- Legal Secretary
- Legal Transcriber
- Legal Information Processing
- Legal Records Manager
- Appointment Clerk
For specific information contact the NIACC Business Division.
Upon successful completion of the Legal Office Specialist curriculum (at least 60 semester hours) with a grade point average of 2.00 (C) or higher, the student is awarded an Associate in Applied Science Degree.
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Talk to the Business Internship Coordinator or your Counselor to decide when in your college career you should participate in an internship.
- Enroll in and pass Workplace Professionalism (BUS 162 ).
- Workplace Professionalism is a 3 s.h. course that is a prerequisite to Business Internships ~ it can be taken at any time prior to a Business Internship.
- Upon passing Workplace Professionalism, the student is eligible for a Business Internship (BUS 225 ).
- Students may register for a Business Internship only when they have located, secured and have had the internship site approved with the Business Internship Coordinator.
- Business Internship credit ranges from 1 s.h. to 5 s.h. ~ this must be determined prior to registering for the course.
All students are highly encouraged to participate in a Business Internship before graduating.