The Information Technology Specialist Degree program prepares the student to understand networking components, personal computer repair, troubleshooting, and management of workstations and server systems. The professional demonstrates the skills required to develop, establish, set up, maintain, and repair any issue that may arise while users are conducting work-related concepts, including basic protection theory on viruses, malware, and spyware that may enter a computer system during daily usage.
This program provides the student with an opportunity to pursue the certifications listed below:
- CISCO Certified Entry Network Associate (CCENT)
- COMPTIA Security+
- COMPTIA A+ Hardware Certification
- COMPTIA Network+
- Microsoft Certified Professional for Windows 10
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist
- Microsoft Information Technology Professional (Windows Server)
Students have the option of obtaining employment using their computer skills or transferring to a four-year institution and receiving a baccalaureate degree. Some job opportunities are listed below:
- Hardware Support for a small- to medium-size business
- Help Desk Support
- Technical Writers
- IT Sales and/or Training
- PC Technician Repair
Upon successful completion of the Information Technology Specialist curriculum (at least 60 semester hours) with a grade point average of 2.00 (C) or higher, the student is awarded an Associate in Applied Science Degree.
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Talk to the Business Internship Coordinator or your Counselor to decide when in your college career you should participate in an internship.
- Enroll in and pass Workplace Professionalism (BUS 162 ).
- Workplace Professionalism is a 3 s.h. course that is a prerequisite to Business Internships ~ it can be taken at any time prior to a Business Internship.
- Upon passing Workplace Professionalism, the student is eligible for a Business Internship (BUS 225 ).
- Students may register for a Business Internship only when they have located, secured and have had the internship site approved with the Business Internship Coordinator.
- Business Internship credit ranges from 1 s.h. to 5 s.h. ~ this must be determined prior to registering for the course.
All students are highly encouraged to participate in a Business Internship before graduating.