NIACC Catalog 2019-2020 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Administrative Office Specialist, A.A.S.
The Administrative Office Specialist Degree program is designed to prepare students for employment with financial institutions, retail establishments, manufacturers, private organizations, and Civil Service.
The graduate’s duties include transcribing dictation; keyboarding correspondence, reports, and records; filing; handling telephone services; making appointments and receiving visitors; ordering supplies; making travel arrangements; taking care of general office administration; and using computers for word processing, spreadsheet, electronic presentation, and database projects.
NIACC’s classrooms are equipped with the latest in computers, office machines, and equipment. They are also staffed by qualified instructors in the business field.
Successful graduates can find job opportunities in the following occupational areas:
- Administrative Assistant
- Executive Secretary
- Office Manager
- Records Manager
- Information Processing Supervisor
For specific information contact the NIACC Business Division.
Upon successful completion of the Administrative Office Specialist curriculum (at least 60 semester hours) with a grade point average of 2.00 (C) or higher, the student is awarded an Associate in Applied Science Degree.
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Talk to the Business Internship Coordinator or your Counselor to decide when in your college career you should participate in an internship.
- Enroll in and pass Workplace Professionalism (BUS 162 ).
- Workplace Professionalism is a 3 s.h. course that is a prerequisite to Business Internships ~ it can be taken at any time prior to a Business Internship.
- Upon passing Workplace Professionalism, the student is eligible for a Business Internship (BUS 225 ).
- Students may register for a Business Internship only when they have located, secured and have had the internship site approved with the Business Internship Coordinator.
- Business Internship credit ranges from 1 s.h. to 5 s.h. ~ this must be determined prior to registering for the course.
All students are highly encouraged to participate in a Business Internship before graduating.